UPDATE: 1:30 p.m. Thursday, July 27, 2017
Governor Brian Sandoval is directing leaders of the Nevada National Guard to make no modifications to the state's policy regarding whether transgender soldiers and airmen can openly serve.
Acting as commander-in-chief of the state guard, Sandoval says he has requested information on what protections the state can put into place to support individuals already serving.
Nevada currently has one openly transgender service member.
In a statement, the governor offered his support and gratitude to the soldier saying he will continue to give his full respect to all members of the military.
Officials with the Nevada National Guard say they are waiting on guidance from the U.S. Department of Defense before taking any action on President Donald Trump’s crack down on transgender people serving in the military.
In a series of tweets sent yesterday morning, President Donald Trump says he wants to reinstate a ban on transgender people openly serving in the military.
The president, however, did not say what he thinks should happen to transgender people already serving.
At this time, Nevada Guard officials are directing any questions about the president's remarks to the White House, but a spokesman for the guard says commanders are expected to continue to care for soldier and airmen and treat everyone with dignity and respect.
The Nevada Guard has one openly transgender soldier who at this time has requested privacy. In a statement, the soldier says the Department of Defense officially approved his transition from female to male earlier this month and that he will continue to serve in the guard until he is told otherwise.