Jobs and Internships at KUNR
Membership Coordinator (KUNR)
Reno Public Radio (KUNR-FM) is looking for a hard-working, talented Membership Coordinator. The Coordinator researches, plans, oversees, coordinates and executes strategies, projects, programs that may include social media, marketing and events aimed at increasing individual financial contributors (members) to meet station goals, including annual fundraising drives. The Membership Coordinator plays a critical role in advancing the station’s financial and market-share growth, visibility and profile in the community.
Applicants must meet these minimum requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution
- At least two years of membership program coordination or related experience.
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary $40k+ depending on experience. As a member of the University administrative faculty, the successful applicant will receive an attractive benefits package that includes:
- State of Nevada (PEBP) health care benefits
- Retirement plan with match from the university
- Generous holiday, vacation and sick leave
- Tuition benefits for self and family
Additionally, Nevada has no income tax and no FICA.
Reno Public Radio serves a weekly audience of 45,000 listeners in northern Nevada and northeastern California. Broadcasting from the campus of the University of Nevada, Reno, the station airs primarily news programming from NPR, the BBC, and American Public Media, with an increasing focus on leading the market with top-quality local news.
About Reno and the University
The University of Nevada, Reno, the land-grant University and major research institution in the state, has a student body of more than 21,000. The University is situated in Reno, a metropolitan area of nearly 400,000 on the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. The city is conveniently located 38 miles from Lake Tahoe, a world-class skiing area with limitless summer and winter recreational opportunities. Sacramento and San Francisco are, respectively, two- and four-hour drives away.
How to Apply
Online applications only. We require a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references. Submit your application and materials online through the university’s automated search system:
EEO/AA. Women, under-represented groups, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
KUNR & Reynolds School of Journalism Social Media Internship (Fall 2016; applications due July 31, 2016)
Do you live for Instagram? Have ideas about how media properties should be using SnapChat or Medium? We want to talk to you! Reno Public Radio (KUNR 88.7 FM) is looking for an intern to improve and expand our social media presence. Your responsibilities would include partnering with news staff to think through which social media channels make the most sense for our needs, how our website and social channels play off of each other, how social media can become more of a complement to our news stories, and how to use social media as not just a promotional tool, but also a storytelling device.
This internship is funded by the Reynolds School of Journalism and will take place during fall 2016 for 15 hours per week. Pay is $10 an hour for a total stipend of $2,500. Applicants must be current Reynolds School students and need access to a car for traveling to various events.
KUNR is a small but robust news organization, so our interns get a lot of hands-on training, mentoring, and the opportunity to make a real difference in our local coverage.
- Be familiar with the style and mission of NPR and KUNR programming
- Have a knack for headline writing and a sense of what people want to read. If you’re someone people describe as a “storyteller” or a “comedian,” so much the better
- Be proficient with at least three big social media platforms, with an understanding of how media in particular use these platforms
- Have a desire to think about the big picture of media and social media, along with an ethical commitment to never let the drive for clicks outweigh the need for great coverage
- Be proficient in web data analytics with an interest in using data to drive better social and web outcomes
- Be proficient with grammatical rules and AP style
- Be able to learn quickly, work collaboratively, and take constructive feedback
- Posting to various social media channels
- Creating original content for social media and generating interest in our organization through those channels
How to Apply
Please send an email of interest to Michelle Billman at email@example.com with “KUNR Social Media Intern” in the subject line. Attach your resume, list of references, cover letter, and a work sample, which should include examples of your writing, photography, videography, and/or graphic design. Links to any social media feeds you manage or contribute to would be helpful.
Application Deadline: July 31, 2016